Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hot Tamales




As families age together, I think often times we're tempted to settle into a complacency with one another, which can be good, but, at other times, not so good. Perhaps it's partly because we wiped their butts when they were little or shared a room with them so we think we know all there is to know about them.
It's important to remember that even family members, with time, continue to grow and blossom in their interests, talents and personalities. We often forget that. I'll be the first to admit that I forget. Instead, we tend to fall back on the same old stories and the latest rumors of a small town or even dead silence, instead of continually "getting to know" the people that we supposedly know best.

I think as a family, we finally nailed quintessential "quality family time". This weekend, upon my dad's initiative, we, as a family, made hot tamales - 8 DOZEN of those babies - in an assembly-line fashion. We each had a task. My sis, the photographer; my mom, the taste tester and dish washer; dad, the recipe reader and mix maker; my hubby, the paper soaker and corn meal spreader; and me, the tamale roller and stacker. All came together beautifully. And man, were the tamales tasty!

We've had several experiences lately that have left us with those warm and fuzzy family feelings. Planning activities in advance is key though sometimes impromptu events are just as effective. Below are a few that have helped foster quality time for our family:

  • Cooking tamales and baking molasses cookies together
  • Playing Table Topics
  • Pictionary, puzzles, Scrabble and other games
  • Hiking and biking
  • Campfire and marshmallow roasting
  • badmidden and croquet
  • Comedy club outing

My point is that there comes a time in adulthood when we should look at our families with new eyes. Though we grow up together, we can be quite different in invaluable and positive ways. We can learn new things from each other just by asking the right questions. We should try to treat each member as if they are a new friend we're just getting to know each time we are together.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by what you discover about the people who are nearest and dearest to you; I have. It's often good things that make the heart grow fonder.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

*Love* that post.
Always a good reminder.
You all are so cute, I love it.