Thursday, April 12, 2007

Project Gardening:Thyme During the Wait

Before I became a full-time homemaker, I began planning how I might spend my time during the adoption wait. I considered what I wanted to accomplish and what projects I wanted to complete before bringing home our baby.

One of the things on my list was to bring color to our courtyard, using mostly low-maintenance potted annuals and perennials. Additionally, I wanted to create a culinary herb container garden using the herbs that I cook with most such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, cilantro and parsley. However, I was very tempted by the variety of basil and thyme that I found at our local nursery which included chocolate mint, and pineapple basil as well as pineapple thyme, and such. So I might just need to expand as we go.

I've always had an interest in gardening but mostly felt intimidated by the undertaking. Though, I've discovered container gardens are a great place to start! I found a great resource, gardening for the novice gardener. I also found Organic Valley organic potting soil and compost available at Home Depot for very inexpensive.

It's important to bring a colorful and tasty palette to our very evergreen courtyard. Our courtyard is an extension of our home, a place to bond with new friends and old over a glass of wine and grilled dinners, a quiet and peaceful refuge from a bustling world, a place for our children to play someday, an oasis for butterflies and birds looking for a place to nourish their being, and, likewise, a place where our souls too can be renewed.

No comments: