Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Vaccinations

And now back to the topic of vaccinations...the last few weeks since being home, I've been asked by government workers, paperwork, and doctors -- "HAS YOUR CHILD BEEN VACCINATED SINCE BEING IN THE U.S.?" Geez, I just got home! Will you give me a chance to catch my breath, people!

In response to the maddening question, I am reading Dr. Sears' The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child, and can honestly say, I'm feeling much more equipped and confident to handle the whole vaccination debate. After twelve years of research on the topic, Dr. Sears compiles excellent information on each of the childhood vaccinations. I highly recommend his book for other parents treading this subject with certain trepidation. While he's not against vaccinations, Dr. Sears does offer pertinent information and an alternative schedule for those parents who like to weigh all the facts before making a decision...because let's face it, the FDA does have its recalls occasionally and doctors are learning more about diseases in med school, than about the vaccines that prevent them. Yes, public health is absolutely important, but parents should not feel guilty about being their child's advocate first. We should not be intimidated about wanting to feel comfortable with the facts before making these kinds of decisions for our children. That's our absolute right as parents.

And, for your reading pleasure, go here .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Courtney!! You are a wise woman and I commend you for educating yourself on this controversial topic. ...I wish that I had been more skeptical/informed before I innocently followed the CDC's current and very aggressive reccomended schedule for my beautiful (autistic) daughter. Vaccines are a wonderful thing, but why the CDC continues to recommend such an aggressive schedule in light of autism rates continues to blow my mind? I mean, they still don't know the cause so everything is suspect, right?

Lisa C. said...

I am so glad to hear that more women (and parents) are exploring this isue. I don't like the way the gov't makes us feel like abusive parents if we don't follow their guidelines to the letter, but I also don't want to do anything that would leave my child open to disease. Thanks so much for the source on great info regarding vaccinations.